NEWS DIRECTLY TO YOU FROM BRAZIL
A regularly updated Brazil news feed compiling news reports.
- 'I don't see any reason for feminism': the women backing Brazil's Bolsonaro October 14, 2018The openly sexist presidential candidate has faced an extraordinary backlash. So why do many women support him? They are not victims, and they don’t need anyone’s sympathy. They have no time for “whiny feminists” – and no need for the government to guarantee equal pay.They earned what they’ve achieved, often juggling a professional life with […]Anna Jean Kaiser in São Paulo
- 'Flowering of hate': bitter election brings wave of political violence to Brazil October 12, 2018Supporters of presidential candidate Jair Bolsonaro, who is leading in polls, have attacked journalists and activistsThe two contenders in Brazil’s bitterly contested presidential race have urged calm after a wave of attacks on journalists, activists and members of the LGBT community by supporters of far-right candidate Jair Bolsonaro including beatings, a knife attack and a […]Dom Phillips in Rio de Janeiro
- Brazil's far-right presidential candidate denies links to Steve Bannon after son's claims October 12, 2018Son of frontrunner Jair Bolsonaro has been pictured with the former Trump strategist and said he offered assistanceThe far-right presidential candidate Jair Bolsonaro said on Thursday his campaign had no ties to former White House strategist Steve Bannon, contradicting claims by one of Bolsonaro’s sons.Bolsonaro, who won the first round of Brazil’s presidential election Sunday […]Associated Press
- The new Venezuela? Brazil populist Bolsonaro's scare tactic gains traction October 11, 2018The far-right candidate has sought, with little evidence, to link his Worker’s party opponent to Brazil’s neighbour’s troublesBefore he was frontrunner to become Brazil’s next president, Jair Bolsonaro tried his hand at film-making.The picture? A 26-minute polemic posted on YouTube called Venezuela: An Alert for Brazil. Related: I hope my fellow Brazilians see through Bolsonaro […]Tom Phillips and Dom Phillips in Rio de Janeiro
- Roger Waters divides crowd with anti-Bolsonaro comments at Brazil concert October 10, 2018Ex-Pink Floyd bass player warns: ‘Neo-fascism is on the rise’Remarks at São Paulo gig draw cheers and jeers from audiencePink Floyd founder Roger Waters waded neck-deep into the acrimony of Brazil’s presidential election on Tuesday night, condemning the far-right frontrunner, Jair Bolsonaro, as a neo-fascist in the mold of Donald Trump, Nigel Farage and Hungary’s […]Tom Phillips Latin America correspondent
- Brazil battles fake news 'tsunami' amid polarized presidential election October 10, 2018Electoral court orders Facebook to remove links to 33 fake news stories targeting Fernando Haddad’s vice-presidential candidateAs Brazil nears the climax of its bitterest and most polarized election in recent history, academics and digital activists fighting to stem a rising tide of fake news say that accurate coverage of the campaign risks being drowned out […]Dom Phillips in Rio de Janeiro
- Brazil's far-right frontrunner Bolsonaro vows to rule with 'authority not authoritarianism' October 9, 2018After his first-round victory, Jair Bolsonaro tries to allay fears that Brazil could lurch back towards dictatorship under his commandBrazil needs to be ruled “with authority but without authoritarianism”, the far-right frontrunner to become its next president has declared in an apparent attempt to allay fears of the tyrannical tack many fear Latin America’s largest […]Tom Phillips Latin America correspondent
- Amazon at risk from Bolsonaro's grim attack on the environment | Fabiano Maisonnave October 9, 2018Threats to the rainforest and its people and an end to the Paris agreement are among the promises of Brazil’s presidential hopeful, reports Climate HomeNo more Paris agreement. No more ministry of environment. A paved highway cutting through the Amazon.Not only that. Indigenous territories opened to mining. Relaxed environmental law enforcement and licensing. International NGOs, […]Fabiano Maisonnave for Climate Home, part of the Guardian Environment Network
- Bolsonaro allies ride conservative wave in Brazil elections October 8, 2018Upsets include little-known judge beating Rio Olympics mayor in state governor race Eduardo Paes, the voluble, samba-dancing former mayor of Rio de Janeiro who presided over its Olympic Games, had expected to win his bid to become governor of Rio de Janeiro state. He had been leading the polls with 27% and was considered to […]Dom Phillips in Rio de Janeiro
- The Guardian view on climate change: a global emergency | Editorial October 8, 2018The consequences of catastrophic warming will be political and even military, not just environmentalClimate change is an existential threat to the human race. This may seem an absurd or alarmist statement, since we have been conditioned by unparallelled growth to expect that there are no catastrophes that are insurmountable. Even apocalyptic science fiction deals with […]Editorial
wind: 3mph WNW
H 31 • L 31
Weather from OpenWeatherMap
- PM: Australia considering moving embassy to Jerusalem October 16, 2018New Prime Minister Scott Morrison denies controversial decision by US is influencing Canberra's possible embassy move.
- Jamal Khashoggi case: All the latest updates October 16, 2018Anonymous officials tell American media Saudi leadership may say a 'tragically incompetent' spy botched interrogation.
- Bangladesh editors protest 'chilling' Digital Security Act October 16, 2018Top editors form human chain in Dhaka urging Bangladesh's government to overhaul law they say will curb press freedom.
- Washington diocese names 31 ex-clergy accused of abuse October 16, 2018List released days after Archbishop Wuerl resigned includes several individuals who've been convicted.
- Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen dies at age 65 October 16, 2018Billionaire dies after his latest battle with cancer, his family said on Monday.
- Greek official blows the whistle on refugee costs October 15, 2018Head of government agency that handles refugee services says funding misuse needs to be investigated.
- US midterms ads accuse Democrats of 'terror' ties October 15, 2018Several Republican and Super PAC ads under fire by watchdogs, fact-checkers and rights groups for false accusations.
- US midterms: Democrats challenge Trump economy rhetoric October 15, 2018Although the president touts his economic numbers, Democrats in Pennsylvania say his policies do not help average voters who are just as concerned about healthcare.
- Tunisia 'needs a cultural revolution' to combat racism October 15, 2018Tunisia becomes first Arab country to criminalise racial discrimination in move activists hail as historic.
- Khashoggi: Why did it take so long for Saudi to open its doors? October 15, 2018Turkish investigators allowed in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul nearly two weeks after Jamal Khashoggi went missing.