NEWS DIRECTLY TO YOU FROM BRAZIL
A regularly updated Brazil news feed compiling news reports.
- US museum of natural history will not host Bolsonaro gala event after outrage April 15, 2019After receiving criticism last week, museum says gala to honor Brazil’s far-right president would no longer go aheadPlans to honor Brazil’s far-right president with a black-tie gala at the American Museum of Natural History have been scrapped after a public outcry that saw New York’s mayor brand Jair Bolsonaro “a very dangerous human being”.Bill de […]Tom Phillips Latin America correspondent
- Lula, like all Brazilians, faced a fair trial | Letter April 14, 2019Fred Arruda, Brazil’s ambassador to the UK, says his country’s judiciary is fully independent and due process of law is faithfully observedThe letter (11 April) from a group of MPs and other political figures claiming that former president Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva is a “political prisoner” is not only offensive to a democratic country […]Letters
- US natural history museum gala to honor Brazil's far-right president sparks outrage April 12, 2019Institution is ‘deeply concerned’ after being attacked for hosting event to honor Jair Bolsonaro who has rolled back environmental protectionsThe American Museum of Natural History has said it is “deeply concerned” after it was sharply criticized for hosting an event that will honour Jair Bolsonaro, the president of Brazil who has backed aggressive cuts in […]Oliver Milman in New York
- Brazilian comedian gets jail sentence for video attacking leftwing politician April 11, 2019Danilo Gentili, a conservative known for his aggressive attacks on the left, was tried over a 2017 clip he shared on social mediaA row over free speech has erupted in Brazil after a foul-mouthed conservative comedian was given a six-month jail sentence for abusing a leftwing politician.Known for his aggressive attacks on the Brazilian left, […]Dom Phillips in Rio de Janeiro
- Brazil’s Lula is a political prisoner. He must be freed now | Letter April 10, 2019Twenty-eight parliamentarians, trade unionists, journalists and campaigners condemn the ongoing detention of former Brazilian president Luiz Inácio Lula da SilvaWe condemn the continued persecution of former Brazilian president Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, who was jailed a year ago. Lula was favourite to win Brazil’s 2018 presidential election until he was jailed and barred from […]Letters
- Brazil replaces far-right education minister with conspiracy theorist April 9, 2019President Jair Bolsonaro’s replacement for Ricardo Vélez has blamed communists for introducing crackWhen news broke that Brazil’s president had sacked his controversial far-right education minister, any hopes that Jair Bolsonaro might have moderated his views lasted about as long as it took Brazilians to research his replacement.The new minister, Abraham Weintraub, is an economist and […]Dom Phillips in Rio de Janeiro
- Brazil: 10 soldiers arrested after firing more than 80 bullets into family's car April 8, 2019One man was killed and two others wounded after army patrol opened fire on family driving to a baby showerTen Brazilian soldiers have been arrested after firing more than 80 bullets into a car carrying a family, killing one man and wounding two other people.Evaldo dos Santos Rosa, 51, a musician and security guard, was […]Dom Phillips in Rio de Janeiro
- Brazil: high-risk expedition to contact isolated tribe declared success April 5, 2019Thirty-person expedition, including Funai officials and a doctor, contacted and vaccinated 34 people from the Korubo tribeBrazil’s biggest and most ambitious expedition in decades to contact a voluntarily isolated indigenous tribe has been declared a success after venturing deep into remote and inaccessible Amazon jungle.The rare, high-risk expedition aimed to prevent potential conflict between tribal […]Dom Phillips in Rio de Janeiro
- Brazilian police kill 11 alleged robbers in ATM heist shootout April 4, 2019Gang tried to simultaneously blow up two bank machinesAssailants took hostages and fought running gun battlePolice in São Paulo state have shot and killed 11 assailants who were preparing to simultaneously blow up ATMs at two branches early on Thursday, authorities said.São Paulo state’s public security secretariat said in a statement that about 25 suspects […]Reuters in São Paulo
- Brazil education minister accused of whitewashing 1964 coup and dictatorship April 4, 2019Ricardo Vélez accused of ‘historical revisionism’ after saying school history books will be rewritten to give ‘a fuller version’Brazil’s education minister has been accused of “historical revisionism” after saying school history books will be rewritten to give a positive spin to the country’s 1964 coup and 21-year military dictatorship. Related: Brazil: tortured dissidents appalled by […]Dom Phillips in Rio de Janeiro
wind: 10mph WNW
H 52 • L 50
Weather from OpenWeatherMap
- Magnitude 6.1 earthquake hits east Taiwan, no major damage April 18, 2019Quake also shook buildings in the capital, Taipei, forcing the metro system in the capital to be suspended.
- Indians vote in second phase of parliamentary elections April 18, 2019More than 155 million people are eligible to vote in the second phase, which covers 97 constituencies.
- India's major parties field few women in race to parliament April 18, 2019That low figure has prompted criticism that the major parties again missed a chance to redress the gender imbalance.
- Assange and WikiLeaks: A view from Kenya April 18, 2019WikiLeaks has been a key source of revelations about the transgressions of the Kenyan political elite.
- Iran's Hassan Rouhani urges regional powers to 'unite against US' April 18, 2019Speaking at an Army Day parade, Iranian president also urged neighbouring countries to 'drive back Zionism'.
- French weapons not used against civilians in Yemen: Minister April 18, 2019Denial comes after investigative website published leaked intelligence report showing French arms being used in Yemen.
- Gunmen kill 14 bus passengers in Pakistan's Balochistan April 18, 2019Passengers were removed from buses travelling from Gwadar to Karachi before being shot dead, officials say.
- Redacted Mueller report on Trump campaign to be released April 18, 2019US Justice Department to release Special Counsel Robert Mueller's report on Trump's presidential campaign.
- India: Fake News and Agitprop April 18, 2019We investigate the threat posed to democracy in India by those who use fake news to advance extreme nationalism.
- The women trying to solve Lagos' waste problem April 18, 2019From recycling to up-cycling, entrepreneurial women lead the fight to reduce waste in Nigeria's densely populated city.