NEWS DIRECTLY TO YOU FROM BRAZIL
A regularly updated Brazil news feed compiling news reports.
- The Brazilian group scanning WhatsApp for disinformation in run-up to elections September 26, 2018When a story goes viral, Comprova assigns it to a journalist to investigate if it is fake or notVoting machines rigged by Venezuela; suspicious connections with George Soros; elderly conservatives beaten up by leftwing activists; a candidate’s name spelled out in huge letters across a soy field – these are just a few of the […]Anna Jean Kaiser in São Paulo
- Bolsonaro could drag Brazil back into dictatorship, cultural legends warn September 25, 2018Petition reflects fears over rightwing populist presidential candidate Jair BolsonaroSome of Brazil’s most celebrated musicians, writers and public intellectuals have said Latin America’s largest democracy could take an authoritarian turn if rightwing populist Jair Bolsonaro emerges victorious from next month’s presidential election. Related: 'Stop this disaster': Brazilian women mobilise against 'misogynist' far-right Bolsonaro Related: 'He's […]Tom Phillips in Governador Valadares
- 'Stop this disaster': Brazilian women mobilise against 'misogynist' far-right Bolsonaro September 21, 2018Jair Bolsonaro, who has called women idiots and issued taunts about rape, could be the next president. For the 2.5m women who joined a new Facebook group, something had to be doneHe has mocked women as idiots and as tramps, as unworthy of rape, let alone equal pay. Within weeks he could be crowned president […]Tom Phillips in Recife
- Cecilia Haddad murder: former Brazilian boyfriend confessed to killing, court hears September 19, 2018Mario Marcelo Santoro appears in court in Rio de Janeiro over the death of 38-year-old, whose body was found in Sydney’s Lane Cove RiverThe suspected killer of Cecilia Haddad has appeared in court for a pretrial hearing in Rio de Janeiro, where an investigator testified that the accused had confessed during informal talks with police […]Anna Jean Kaiser in Rio de Janeiro
- Peru's president in high-stakes gamble to push through anti-corruption reforms September 19, 2018Martín Vizcarra dares opposition-dominated congress to back his stalled measures or face fresh electionsPeru’s president has launched a high-stakes gamble to push through stalled anti-corruption measures, challenging the opposition-dominated congress to back the reform or face fresh elections.Martín Vizcarra invoked a constitutional procedure which could allow him to dissolve the chamber and call new legislative […]Dan Collyns in Lima
- The artist trying to change Rio's violent police force from within September 19, 2018Police brutality is rife in the Brazilian city, but a new project wants officers to see themselves in a different lightIn the city and wider state of Rio de Janeiro, stories of police brutality abound. In June, a security operation saw a police helicopter open fire in the Maré favela; seven people died in the […]Sarah Johnson
- Fernando Haddad aims to be Brazil's new Lula – but does anyone know who he is? September 18, 2018Lula’s understudy is running for president, and the support of his jailed patron could prove decisiveWearing a red sweatshirt emblazoned with the image of a Brazil’s former president Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, Fernando Haddad and his entourage piled out of a minibus and marched up the main street of the Rocinha favela, as a […]Dom Phillips in Rio de Janeiro
- Brazil police seize $16m from Equatorial Guinea's VP delegation September 16, 2018Entourage of vice-president allegedly had millions in cash and luxury watches in luggageMore than $16m (£12m) in cash and luxury watches were seized at an airport in Brazil in the luggage of a delegation accompanying the son of the president of Equatorial Guinea, local media has reported.Teodorin Nguema Obiang, vice-president of Equatorial Guinea and son […]Agence France-Presse
- Australia urges Japan to remain in IWC after its bid to lift whaling ban rejected September 14, 2018Japan hints it may leave International Whaling Commission after attempt to resume commercial hunting voted downAustralia has encouraged Japan to remain within the International Whaling Commission after the country’s attempt to lift a 33-year ban on commercial whaling failed to win enough votes.Japan’s so-called “way forward” proposal for the IWC to start a “sustainable whaling” […]Graham Readfearn
- 'He's not perfect': why do so many Brazilians support rightwinger Jair Bolsonaro? September 14, 2018Although many are revolted by his racist, sexist and homophobic comments, his Trump-like his simple solutions attract plenty of admirersRecovering in hospital after he was stabbed at a campaign event a week ago, Brazil’s far-right presidential candidate Jair Bolsonaro posed for a photograph, grinning and brandishing an imaginary rifle.It was a gesture he has often […]Dom Phillips in Rio de Janeiro
Need a website design and developed? try Matt Mckinnon Digital | Graphic Designer
wind: 10mph N
H 66 • L 63
Weather from OpenWeatherMap
- Drug-resistant TB cases booming in South Africa September 26, 2018The WHO estimates that one-quarter of the world's population has TB and is the leading cause of death in South Africa, where the emergence of drug-resistant strains make treatment even more difficult.
- UN General Assembly 2018: All the latest updates September 26, 2018US President Donald Trump chairs UN Security Council meeting on weapons of mass destruction.
- Family fears UAE will deport Uighur to China September 26, 2018Relatives have no knowledge of what has happened to Abudujilili Supi after his arrest in the UAE last week.
- Laquan McDonald: Black teen remembered as white cop goes on trial September 26, 2018Community holds vigil for McDonald as murder trial continues for white officer Jason Van Dyke over 2014 killing.
- â€™I could count the ribs on her chestâ€™: Yemeni refugees starving September 26, 2018Many refugees who fled to Djibouti are facing a severe war with lack of basic needs and humanitarian aid.
- Trump lauds his 'extraordinary' achievements at General Assembly September 26, 2018The US president's boast met incredulity and laughter as he continued to push his "America First" agenda at the United Nations.
- Violence, impunity and fear in the Mexican state of Veracruz September 26, 2018Mexico has been shaken by the grim discovery of a mass graveyard site with at least 174 bodies buried inside.
- Will supply of S-300 to Syria harm Russia-Israel ties? September 26, 2018S-300 move is Moscow's message to Israel to adopt restraint, experts say, but some doubt the transfer will happen.
- The Muslim undertakers of East London September 26, 2018A glimpse into the history of South Asian migration to the UK, through the work of a Muslim funeral business.
- Mexico: Acapulco police disarmed, placed under investigation September 26, 2018Military arrests three top police officers and takes control of the entire police force in the port city.