NEWS DIRECTLY TO YOU FROM BRAZIL
A regularly updated Brazil news feed compiling news reports.
- 'Stop this disaster': Brazilian women mobilise against 'misogynist' far-right Bolsonaro September 21, 2018Jair Bolsonaro, who has called women idiots and issued taunts about rape, could be the next president. For the 2.5m women who joined a new Facebook group, something had to be doneHe has mocked women as idiots and as tramps, as unworthy of rape, let alone equal pay. Within weeks he could be crowned president […]Tom Phillips in Recife
- Cecilia Haddad murder: former Brazilian boyfriend confessed to killing, court hears September 19, 2018Mario Marcelo Santoro appears in court in Rio de Janeiro over the death of 38-year-old, whose body was found in Sydney’s Lane Cove RiverThe suspected killer of Cecilia Haddad has appeared in court for a pretrial hearing in Rio de Janeiro, where an investigator testified that the accused had confessed during informal talks with police […]Anna Jean Kaiser in Rio de Janeiro
- Peru's president in high-stakes gamble to push through anti-corruption reforms September 19, 2018Martín Vizcarra dares opposition-dominated congress to back his stalled measures or face fresh electionsPeru’s president has launched a high-stakes gamble to push through stalled anti-corruption measures, challenging the opposition-dominated congress to back the reform or face fresh elections.Martín Vizcarra invoked a constitutional procedure which could allow him to dissolve the chamber and call new legislative […]Dan Collyns in Lima
- The artist trying to change Rio's violent police force from within September 19, 2018Police brutality is rife in the Brazilian city, but a new project wants officers to see themselves in a different lightIn the city and wider state of Rio de Janeiro, stories of police brutality abound. In June, a security operation saw a police helicopter open fire in the Maré favela; seven people died in the […]Sarah Johnson
- Fernando Haddad aims to be Brazil's new Lula – but does anyone know who he is? September 18, 2018Lula’s understudy is running for president, and the support of his jailed patron could prove decisiveWearing a red sweatshirt emblazoned with the image of a Brazil’s former president Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, Fernando Haddad and his entourage piled out of a minibus and marched up the main street of the Rocinha favela, as a […]Dom Phillips in Rio de Janeiro
- Brazil police seize $16m from Equatorial Guinea's VP delegation September 16, 2018Entourage of vice-president allegedly had millions in cash and luxury watches in luggageMore than $16m (£12m) in cash and luxury watches were seized at an airport in Brazil in the luggage of a delegation accompanying the son of the president of Equatorial Guinea, local media has reported.Teodorin Nguema Obiang, vice-president of Equatorial Guinea and son […]Agence France-Presse
- Australia urges Japan to remain in IWC after its bid to lift whaling ban rejected September 14, 2018Japan hints it may leave International Whaling Commission after attempt to resume commercial hunting voted downAustralia has encouraged Japan to remain within the International Whaling Commission after the country’s attempt to lift a 33-year ban on commercial whaling failed to win enough votes.Japan’s so-called “way forward” proposal for the IWC to start a “sustainable whaling” […]Graham Readfearn
- 'He's not perfect': why do so many Brazilians support rightwinger Jair Bolsonaro? September 14, 2018Although many are revolted by his racist, sexist and homophobic comments, his Trump-like his simple solutions attract plenty of admirersRecovering in hospital after he was stabbed at a campaign event a week ago, Brazil’s far-right presidential candidate Jair Bolsonaro posed for a photograph, grinning and brandishing an imaginary rifle.It was a gesture he has often […]Dom Phillips in Rio de Janeiro
- Whaling vote: Australia tells Japan it has lost argument for killings September 14, 2018Country’s commissioner makes impassioned case against a business that no longer has a ‘social licence’There is no longer a “social licence” for countries to kill whales for profit, Australia has told the International Whaling Commission in Brazil.In an impassioned intervention, Australia’s IWC commissioner, Dr Nick Gales, told the key meeting that Japan’s proposal to lift […]Graham Readfearn
- Cars, laptops and a ranch: how Brazil bishop allegedly misused church funds September 13, 2018Bishop José Ronaldo Ribeiro resigned after he and 10 others went on trial for racketeering, money laundering and embezzlementSome time after a new bishop arrived in the central Brazilian city of Formosa in 2015, parishioners started to notice a few changes.The diocese went from credit to an £18,000 ($23,592) debt, and stopped publishing public accounts. […]Dom Phillips in Rio de Janeiro
Need a website design and developed? try Matt Mckinnon Digital | Graphic Designer
wind: 6mph S
H 72 • L 69
Weather from OpenWeatherMap
- Believe Survivors protesters walk out as Kavanaugh stands firm September 25, 2018Walkouts held across the US in support of Ford and Ramirez, who've accused the Supreme Court nominee of sexual assault.
- Who is Anita Hill? September 24, 2018Hill, who accused Supreme Court nominee Thomas of sexual misconduct in 1991, says 'we expect better' with Kavanaugh.
- Report blames Myanmar army for 'large-scale' attacks on Rohingya September 24, 2018US State Department report could be used to justify further US sanctions against Myanmar authorities.
- Modric beats Ronaldo, Salah to FIFA best player award September 24, 2018Croatian won Champions League with Real Madrid and guided Croatia to the World Cup final.
- What next for Russian-Israeli relations? September 24, 2018Russia's decision to install the S-300 in Syria increases the risk of unintended confrontation with Israel.
- Ebola outreach work halted as DR Congo attack toll hits 21 September 24, 2018Aid agencies say they were forced to stop their activities after a rebel attack in Beni on Saturday.
- Can Russia curb Israel's actions in Syria? September 24, 2018Moscow is blaming Israel for its role in the downing of a Russian jet on September 17.
- Tainted blood inquiry opens in the UK, victims seek answers September 24, 2018A public inquiry in the UK is looking at how thousands of patients were given infected blood products during the 1970s and 80s in what has been dubbed the worst-ever NHS treatment disaster.
- Palestinian shot dead by Israeli army near Gaza border: Ministry September 24, 2018Mohamed Abu Sadek, 21,was shot in the head by Israeli military during a protest near the Gaza border.
- British PM May tells Cabinet to holds its nerve over Brexit September 24, 2018May under increased pressure from ministers after a failed meeting with EU leaders, who rejected her proposals.