NEWS DIRECTLY TO YOU FROM BRAZIL
A regularly updated Brazil news feed compiling news reports.
- Jair Bolsonaro's rise to power casts shadow over UN environment conference November 18, 2018Participants at biodiversity convention say Amazon protections are under threat Jair Bolsonaro’s rise to power in Brazil has cast a shadow over the first global environment conference since the ultra-nationalist was elected to lead the most biodiverse nation on Earth.Participants at the the UN Convention on Biological Diversity, which opened in Sharm el-Sheikh on Saturday, […]Jonathan Watts in Sharm el-Sheikh
- 'Sad surprise': Amazon fish contaminated by plastic particles November 16, 2018Scientists in Brazil find first evidence of plastic pollution in Amazon basin freshwater fish Scientists have found the first evidence of plastic contamination in freshwater fish in the Amazon, highlighting the extent to which bags, bottles and other waste dumped in rivers is affecting the world’s wildlife.Tests on the stomach contents of fish in Brazil’s […]Ian Sample Science editor
- Brazil: calls for TV tycoon to be pulled off air after offensive remarks to singer November 15, 2018Viewers demand Silvio Santos be removed after telling Claudia Leitte he couldn’t hug her because it would make him ‘excited’He is one of South America’s most powerful TV tycoons, an 87-year-old media mogul who has for decades been a fixture on Brazilian screens.But many viewers are now demanding that Silvio Santos, the celebrity owner of […]Dom Phillips Rio de Janeiro
- Brazil's new foreign minister believes climate change is a Marxist plot November 15, 2018Ernesto Araújo has called climate science ‘dogma’ and bemoaned the ‘criminalisation’ of red meat, oil and heterosexual sexBrazil’s president-elect Jair Bolsonaro has chosen a new foreign minister who believes climate change is part of a plot by “cultural Marxists” to stifle western economies and promote the growth of China.Ernesto Araújo – until recently a mid-ranking […]Jonathan Watts Global environment editor
- Cuba to pull doctors out of Brazil after President-elect Bolsonaro comments November 14, 2018Bolsonaro demands contract changes and questions training11,420 Cuban doctors work in poor and remote parts of BrazilCuba has announced it will withdraw thousands of its doctors from Brazil after the South American nation’s president-elect Jair Bolsonaro questioned their training and demanded changes to their contracts. Related: How dangerous is Jair Bolsonaro, Brazil's new president? - […]Reuters in Havana
- EU states call for tough action on deforestation to meet 2020 UN goal November 12, 2018Show leadership to halt forest loss from agribusiness, Amsterdam Declaration group tells EUThe UK, France and Germany have called on the European commission to launch tough new action to halt deforestation by the end of the year.A long-delayed EU action plan should be brought forward “as soon as possible”, says a letter to the commission […]Arthur Neslen
- Populists like Trump exacerbate rather than cure corruption | Barry Eichengreen November 12, 2018The US president and Brazil’s Jair Bolsonaro will repopulate the swamp rather than drain itFollowing Emmanuel Macron’s election as president of France in May 2017, global elites breathed a sigh of relief. The populist wave, they reassured themselves, had crested. Voters had regained their sanity. Helped along by an electoral system in which the two […]Barry Eichengreen
- Multiple fatalities in mudslide near Rio de Janeiro November 10, 2018Three-year-old boy among the 10 confirmed victims after city of Niterói hit by landslideTen people were killed and 11 injured in a mudslide near Rio de Janeiro on Saturday, Brazilian authorities have said.Roberto Robadey, the head of Rio’s civil defence department, told the Globo TV network that the mudslide in the city of Niterói was […]Associated Press in Rio de Janeiro
- Oil trading firms with ties to UK named in Brazil's Car Wash corruption scandal November 8, 2018Vitol, Glencore and Trafigura feature in report by campaign group Global WitnessThree global oil trading companies with strong ties to the UK face being dragged into Brazil’s “Car Wash” investigation, after a report raised questions about their connections to businessmen named in the vast corruption scandal.Vitol, Glencore and Trafigura, which boast combined annual revenues of […]Rob Davies
- National populism is unstoppable – and the left still doesn’t understand why | Matthew Goodwin November 8, 2018It’s not about immigration, the financial crisis, globalisation or inequality, but evidence of a broader, older social fragmentationFor a number of years Europe has been in the midst of a significant challenge from national populism, as a succession of recent elections have shown in Italy, Austria, Hungary and Sweden. Yet this is a movement that […]Matthew Goodwin
wind: 6mph NNE
H 28 • L 27
Weather from OpenWeatherMap
- Intense week of talks ahead of Brexit showdown summit November 19, 2018Both sides scramble to finalise a parallel political declaration to set out a road-map for post-Brexit negotiations.
- Yemen's Houthis say they are ready for a ceasefire November 19, 2018Pressure has mounted on warring parties to end war that killed thousands and pushed the country to verge of starvation.
- Cambodia's beleaguered opposition and the fight for democracy November 19, 2018Today, the country is effectively a one-party dictatorship with the opposition party scattered across the world.
- Trio who sparked Hong Kong's Occupy protest to stand trial November 19, 2018Critics say charges will further undermine Chinese territory's waning freedoms as Beijing tries to assert control.
- Contraception use on the rise in 69 poorest countries: report November 18, 2018Since 2012, over 46 million women in the world's lowest income countries got access to contraception, a new report says.
- Sirisena, Rajapaksa, Wickremesinghe fail to end power struggle November 18, 2018Key players in Sri Lanka power struggle sit for talks for first time since crisis began, but fail to break deadlock.
- Ex-Peru president seeks Uruguay asylum following travel ban November 18, 2018Alan Garcia seeks asylum hours after being barred from leaving the country pending a corruption probe.
- Israel: Embattled Netanyahu warns of 'irresponsible' snap vote November 18, 2018Analysts say an upcoming election would bring about little change in the status quo of Israeli politics and discourse.
- Maldives has a new president. These are the 5 big issues he faces November 18, 2018From Chinese debt and religious violence to rights abuses and graft, a look at challenges facing Ibrahim Mohamed Solih.
- DRC efforts to fight Ebola resume in Beni after deadly violence November 18, 2018'Despite deadly attacks .. Ebola response activities are continuing,' the World Health Organization said on Sunday.