NEWS DIRECTLY TO YOU FROM BRAZIL
A regularly updated Brazil news feed compiling news reports.
- Brazil bar 'massacre': 11 people reportedly killed by group of gunmen May 20, 2019Authorities unable to explain why seven attackers converged on bar in northern city of Belém and then started shooting A group of gunmen have killed 11 people in a bar in Brazil, according to media reports, with state officials confirming only at “a massacre” had occurred.The G1 news website reported police reported that seven gunmen […]Staff and Associated Press
- ‘They have free rein’: Rio residents fear police violence under far-right rule May 17, 2019New governor promised ‘slaughter’ of gangsters, drawing comparisons with bloody Philippines drug warThe residents were chatting outside when the police helicopter swooped over the polluted river at the end of their street in Rio’s sprawling Maré favela complex. They fled as the officers riding in it fired volleys of bullets during a raid to catch […]Dom Phillips in Rio de Janeiro
- Brazil's Bolsonaro dismisses 'imbecile' students as he faces biggest protests yet May 16, 2019President calls students protesting against education cuts ‘useful idiots’ who are being steered by a minorityTens of thousands of students and teachers have protested across Brazil against sharp cuts to education enacted by Jair Bolsonaro’s administration – the first mass protests since the far-right president took office in January.Brazil’s National Student Union called for demonstrations […]Anna Jean Kaiser in Rio de Janeiro
- Bacurau review – ultraviolent freakout in Brazil's outback May 15, 2019This disquieting horror-style western about a town under siege from a mysterious threat is executed with ruthless clarityBrazilian auteur Kleber Mendonça Filho, here co-directing with his producer and production designer Juliano Dornelles, has relinquished the quieter, more humanistic tones of his earlier pictures for this disturbing ultraviolent freakout. Set deep in the north-eastern Sertão – […]Peter Bradshaw
- 'Exterminator of the future': Brazil's Bolsonaro denounced for environmental assault May 9, 2019Activist and politician Marina Silva warns Brazil’s rainforest protections being destroyed but vows ‘we can’t let that happen’Jair Bolsonaro is transforming Brazil into an “exterminator of the future”, the activist and politician Marina Silva has warned, as she and seven other former environment ministers denounced the far-right president’s assault on rainforest protections.The eight former ministers […]Anna Jean Kaiser in São Paulo
- Uber drivers strike over pay and conditions May 8, 2019Protests take place in UK, US, Brazil and Australia as ride-hailing app prepares for stock market debutUber drivers have gone on strike in the UK, US and other countries including Brazil and Australia to demand better pay and conditions ahead of the ride-hailing app’s stock market debut.Thousands protested against what one UK trade union labelled […]Julia Kollewe
- Dog Without Feathers review – a mud-caked wild ride through Brazil May 8, 2019Queen Elizabeth Hall, London Performers scurry across the stage in Deborah Colker’s inventive but scattershot show about the people of the Capibaribe River Brazilian choreographer Deborah Colker’s show is inspired by João Cabral’s 1950 poem Dog Without Feathers, which links the image of the sluggish Capibaribe River with the people who live by it. Colker […]Sanjoy Roy
- Rio governor branded a show-off after tweeting video during police operation May 5, 2019Bolsonaro ally Wilson Witzel was onboard police helicopter when he tweeted the videoRio de Janeiro’s new governor, Wilson Witzel, is facing criticism after tweeting a video from a helicopter while observing a police operation in which shots were reportedly fired by the forces.According to one local councillor, police snipers were onboard the helicopter during the […]Dom Phillips in Rio de Janeiro
- Baptism of fire: my first, turbulent year as the Guardian's Latin America correspondent May 4, 2019Tom Phillips takes a moment to reflect on the deepening strife for residents of Bolsonaro’s Brazil, Amlo’s Mexico, and a Venezuela now claimed by two menIt’s a balmy Caribbean evening and after a punishing day covering Venezuela’s crisis I’m decompressing on my hotel balcony above what was once one of Latin America’s great cities.Below, a […]Tom Phillips
- Brazil's Jair Bolsonaro abruptly cancels US visit after protests May 4, 2019Climbdown by far right leader, who was due to receive prestigious award, called ‘a very big embarrassment’Brazil’s far-right president, Jair Bolsonaro, has abruptly cancelled a US trip to receive a prestigious award following a storm of protest over his history of homophobic, racist and misogynist remarks and plans to erode environmental protections in the Amazon.The […]Dom Phillips in Rio De Janeiro
light intensity drizzle
wind: 15mph ENE
H 51 • L 51
Weather from OpenWeatherMap
- Myanmar's political prisoners struggle with life after jail May 21, 2019Freed prisoners struggle to find work, resume normal life after their release amid stigma and lack of support.
- Trump loses lawsuit challenging subpoena for financial records May 20, 2019US judges rules in favour of House panel seeking Trump's financial records from his accounting firm.
- Maduro proposes early elections for opposition-run congress May 20, 2019Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro proposes early elections for the National Assembly, which is headed by Juan Guaido.
- Worries of longer, costlier US-China trade war hits markets May 20, 2019Analysts warn US-China trade dispute could push the global economy towards recession
- US scales back restrictions on China's Huawei May 20, 2019Temporary trade action allows global tech giant to continue servicing existing customers.
- Libya armed group cuts off water supply to Tripoli May 20, 2019UN says water interruption by armed group 'may be considered war crimes': Tripoli government blames to Haftar's forces.
- Iran urges UN to launch talks over 'alarming' Gulf tensions May 20, 2019In letter to UN chief, Iran's ambassador calls for talks between Tehran and Gulf countries to ease rising tensions.
- Austrian far-right ministers to resign amid corruption fallout May 20, 2019Sacking of Interior Minister Kickl is set to trigger a walk-out of FPO ministers from Chancellor Kurz's government.
- Swarms of butterflies bring colour to Iran's capital May 20, 2019The migration has helped elevate the public mood amid rising tensions between Washington and Tehran.
- Trump directs ex-White House counsel McGahn to defy subpoena May 20, 2019White House cites Justice Department legal opinion, which argues McGahn has 'immunity from testifying'.